Thursday, July 28, 2016

Be Still

   Sometimes just being in the presence of someone is all you can do:

    There was a generation gap between me and my dad, and between me and my father-in-law. We didn’t have much to say to each other because of our differences, but we soaked up each others’ presence and showed love to each other by just being with each other and working together.
    Being with someone who’s terminally ill or has suffered great tragedy. Just being with them, holding their hand, not trying to answer why or going off on some theological discourse as to the meaning behind their suffering. Not necessarily saying anything – shows great love. Really shows all the love that can possibly be given to them under such circumstances.
    When a parent tells a child, “Be seen but not heard. Don’t speak unless spoken to.” When we’re in the presence of someone greater and wiser than we, we must not come to speak, but to listen and to hear.          

   All these examples are applicable to our relationship with God.

        Guard your steps as you go to the House of 
        God and draw near to listen rather than to 
        offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not 
        know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in 
        word or impulsive in thought to bring up a 
        matter in the presence of God, for God is 
        in Heaven and you are on the earth; 
        therefore let your words be few.
                                        (Ecclesiastes 5:1, 2)

          Be still and know that I’m God. (Ps. 46:10)

   Sometimes I think what God wants most of all from us, is for us to just be quiet in His presence so He can be with us -- just to be with us. So He can lean into us like He leaned into John when He was being betrayed. 

   


   He just wants to be with us. He just wants to be in our presence.
   So I go walk with Him in silence. I imagine me leaning  into Him and He leaning into me. I be still. 
   I believe with all my heart this means the world to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment